RADIO-ACTIVE focuses on the promotion and usage of the Tamil Language by utilizing actual Tamil radio drama scripts (used in 96.8FM) that will be acted out by the students. Students will be taught on the basics of acting, emotions, expressions and voice culture to bring scripts, alive. This hands-on programme provides the students with opportunities to not only be comfortable with spoken Tamil but also naturally inspire them to act in stage performances in the future. Saleem Hadi, an award-winning director, having directed veterans and amateurs in both theatre and TV productions for over 10 years, has designed this programme, understanding the current challenges of both parents and teachers in getting their children to converse in Tamil. This programme is ideal for students and schools that are planning on having future stage productions. It is a natural progression for the students to move from merely reading lines with actions and emotions, to memorizing lines and acting them out on stage.
- Students will read and act in Tamil using the actual radio scripts once used on air.
- Students will understand how radio played a significant role in the early years of Singapore before TV came about.
- Students will know how radio dramas were produced with the available technology then.
- Students will understand what acting, the usage of emotions and the importance of characterization is.
- Students will understand how voice is an integral part of a performance and appropriately apply the techniques taught.
- Students will know how to perform confidently with believability.
Programme Title: RADIO-ACTIVE (Conducted in Tamil)
Art form: Theatre
Target Audience: Upper Pri, Sec (Lower & Upper), ITE, Poly
Venue required: Classrooms and labs
Duration of each session: 2 hrs
Total no. of sessions: 5 sessions
Material/ Equipment needed: Projector, Computer, White Board
Student: Instructor Ratio: 25 students to 1 instructor